Coping with Morning Sickness
Morning sickness is very common during early pregnancy. About 70% of moms will experience morning sickness during the first trimester. If you are one of these unlucky moms, you may be interested in some tips for helping cope with morning sickness.
Here are a few things that may help you cope:
- Keep some crackers by your bed and try to eat a few dry crackers before you get up.
- Get out of bed slowly in the morning. Try to get plenty of rest the night before.
- Eat small meals throughout the day. Eating too much at one time or having an empty stomach may make you feel nauseous.
- If you are vomiting, make sure to drink plenty of fluids. Don’t try to drink too much at one time. Instead, keep a water bottle and take sips on it throughout the day.
- If your prenatal vitamins are bothering your stomach try taking them at the end of the day.
- Try to avoid being around smells that make you sick to your stomach.
- Call your doctor if you are vomiting three or more times a day. Severe morning sickness, called hypermesis gravidarum, can cause weight loss and dehydration. Medication or other treatment may be necessary.