On a budget? Don’t know what the kids should give their dad for Father’s Day? I’ve got an idea for you! Let the kids paint him a Tie T-shirt.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A solid color t-shirt
- Freezer paper (you can find this at the grocery store)
- Acrylic craft paint
- Fabric medium (this will be at a craft store near the craft paints)
- Paint brush(es) – I like the cheap foam ones
1. Pre-wash the shirt with no fabric softener.
2. Tear off 2 squares of freezer paper. On one of them, draw out the shape of a tie on the non-shiny and remove it from the paper. You’ll use this as a stencil.
3. Lay out the shirt, front side up. Slide the freezer paper between the layers of the shirt, shiny side up. Place the stencil on top of the shirt, shiny side down. With an iron set on medium heat, iron down the stencil. It will take 10-15 seconds in each area to stick well.
4. Mix the acrylic with the fabric medium per instructions on the medium’s bottle.
5. Start painting! Let your little one paint the exposed tie-shaped area within the stencil, making sure to get all around the edges. If you kid is too young to paint, paint the area yourself, then make a hand or foot print on the tie.
6. Allow the paint to dry and peel away the freezer paper to see your creation. In 24 hours, iron the painted area to set it. Now it can be washed and dries just like normal.
You could even consider making a coordinating set for all the boys in your home.