Emeibaby Bunt SSC
I was at Safeway a while back getting groceries (I usually don’t shop there but I had a coupon and it was military monday) and had Rylie in my buckle carrier (Emeibaby Bunt). I use that carrier for grocery trips because Miss Rylie loves to lean in a regular wrap/sling and I feel more comfortable having her in an SSC while shopping. So anyways, about halfway through my shopping trip she falls asleep like she usually does and I go about my business getting the last of my groceries and head to the cashier. As I get up to the front this older lady (she was probably about 70-ish) yells “Oooooh can I see?!” to which I respond “Well she’s sleeping…” but I turn so she can get a look at her. The lady gets this horrified expression on her face and say “Oh the strap is cutting into her lip! She must be uncomfortable, here let me move it!” and tries touching the strap. I back up and tell her “It’s ok, it doesn’t need to be moved.” She then looks at me and says “Are you sure, I can help you move it…” and tries touching it again. I back up further and say “Really, it’s ok. She’s asleep and likes to suck on the strap.” She then gives me this really rude look and says “Well, ok. I know I wouldn’t be comfortable like that. Good luck to you.” and walks away.
I know that she was trying to be helpful, but don’t touch me or Rylie. I don’t know you, you don’t know me. My baby is perfectly fine and is literally passed out because she’s comfy. If she wasn’t comfy she would cry and let me know. It’s not ok for you to come up and get all up in my bubble. I haven’t had many people do that to me, but it seems like the older generations really wants to touch the baby for some reason. You would think the carrier would help prevent that touching, but oooooh no. Not with them. They will get up in your face, and babies face, and oooh and aaaah and try to touch the cheeks, etc. I need to put a sign on my carrier that says “DON’T TOUCH MY BABY”.
I have been thinking lately about how when I was pregnant I wish I had someone tell me what they loved and used for their newborn/infant. There are some things I bought Rylie that we don’t even use (uhm, bassinet, crib!) and stuff that we use every day (rock and play, pack and play) so I figured I would give you a list of top 5 baby products I LOVE.
1. Pack and Play. We use ours as the downstairs changing table. I have a basket inside that holds the diapers and wipes. It’s a great system for us because we have two floors in our house, and if I’m downstairs I don’t want to walk upstairs just to change her. I also keep a spare onesie down here as well in case of blowouts (hey, they happen!).
2. Rock and Play. I didn’t buy this until she was 2 months old and I kicked myself for not getting it earlier. It’s a great place to sit her down in when I need to run to the bathroom really quick or if I need her to sit by herself for a few minutes so I can bring in groceries, etc. She’ll also occasionally take naps in it too which is helpful.
3. Sophie the Giraffe. I know, why all the hype over a chew toy that is SO EXPENSIVE? I dunno, but I do know she LOVES Sophie and loves to gnaw on her legs so I figure it’s money well spent. If you don’t want to spend the money on Sophie there are some less expensive choices out there at Target.
4. Baby Swing. Strategically placed in the bathroom no less. Why? Because I can get my shower in the morning if she’s in the swing in the bathroom. Plus when I need to get ready in the morning to go somewhere she can see me while I’m getting ready which usually keeps her pretty calm. One thing I will tell you I wish I would have known…make sure your swing plugs in!!!! I buy a ton of C batteries because we didn’t buy one that plugs in. Spend the extra money….trust me. As a side note, I have no idea what I’m going to do for showers once she outgrows the swing!
5. Sleep Genius Baby. Ok it’s not a physical baby product, it’s an app. It’s a GREAT app! It plays lullabies for nap times and continuously overnight. I’ve found it really helps Rylie calm down and go to sleep. They claim it can help baby sleep longer too but I haven’t had the pleasure of experiencing that. LOL. It’s great as white noise and it only costs $4.99.
Are there any baby items that you couldn’t live without? Share it in the comments!
Do your kids come home from school hungry and you struggle to give them a healthy, yummy snack? I know when I was younger my mom did. She would end up having us eat Doritos or Cheetos and that was it. We never really grew up eating very healthy snacks. It’s only as I’ve gotten older that I’ve started eating healthier. I sometimes struggle to find a balance of healthy, satisfying and sweet.
Filled Sugar Cone Snack. yummo!
eMeals has come up with a great after school treat, Filled Sugar Cones. Fill sugar cones with Read the rest of this entry »
From birth Rylie had this mark on her shoulder. We were told it was from her ear being pressed up against her shoulder and that it would go away. Well it didn’t. It puffed up, got bright red, and got bigger. During her 2 month appointment I asked the doctor what it really was and he told me it was a hemangioma. Basically, it’s a benign tumor of endothelial cells (vascular birth mark). It’s actually pretty common in infancy and goes away by age 10 usually. They can be left alone to disappear on their own or if they are in a dangerous area they can be treated with laser surgery or Timolol drops.
Hemangioma at birth
Rylie’s Hemangioma at 13 weeks
Read the rest of this entry »