Shopping for Organic Foods

By Cheryl Tallman and Joan Ahlers

When shopping for your family, you should consider that per pound of body weight, babies consume about 60 times more fruits and vegetables than adults. This fact combined with undeveloped digestive and immune systems, put young children at the greatest health risk for pesticide residues. To minimize the effects, you might consider buying organic for those foods that your children eat regularly.

Produce:

Pesticides levels vary in produce. Here is a list of common fruits and veggies that are high in pesticide residues*. Because of the naturally high levels, you might consider buying organic for these foods:

Apples
Bell peppers
Celery
Cherries
Grapes (imported)
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Potatoes
Red Raspberries
Spinach
Strawberries

On the flip side, these fruits and veggies are commonly found to have the lowest levels of pesticide residues*

Asparagus
Avocados
Bananas
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Corn (sweet)
Kiwi
Mangos
Onions
Papayas
Pineapples
Peas (sweet)
*Source: The Environmental Workers Union

Dairy, egg and meat products: While produce is often associated with organic food, there is a growing interest among consumers in dairy, egg and meat products. The reason for increased interest is quite simple - consumers want to know their food is safe. The strict guidelines for producing organic foods are the answer to consumer concerns. Organic eggs and dairy products are readily available in supermarkets. Horizon, Stonyfield Farm and Eggland's Best are just a few national brands. Organic meats may be harder to find. Look for them in natural products stores, farmer's markets and through home delivery services.

Processed foods: Many stores are stocking their shelves with organically processed foods too. In order to make it easier to shop for organic products, the USDA has defined special labeling: - "100% Organic" label means made with 100% organic ingredients;

- "Organic" label means made with at least 95% organic ingredients;
- "Made With Organic Ingredients" label means made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30% including no GMOs (genetically modified organisms); and
- Products with less than 70% organic ingredients may list organically produced ingredients on the side panel of the package, but may not make any organic claims on the front of the package.

About the authors: Cheryl Tallman and Joan Ahlers are sisters, the mothers of five children and founders of Fresh Baby, creators of products such as homemade baby food kits, baby food cookbooks, baby food and breast milk storage trays, breastfeeding reminders, and child development diaries. Visit them online at www.FreshBaby.com and subscribe to their Fresh Ideas newsletter to get monthly ideas, tips and activities for developing your family's healthy eating habits!

0
No votes yet
 

0 comments

Sign in to leave a comment!

Today on JustMommies

CVS Health Makes a New Promise for Your Health

What’s the one wish people wish above all others? Find out how CVS Health helps make those wishes come true. CVS Health is proving it’s not just a corner drugstore. They’re an innovator, making health more affordable and accessible in surprising ways.

Bully-Proof Your Child

Bullying is one of those inevitable facts of life. As much as parents try to eliminate it, schools try to govern it...

Delicious, Kid-Friendly Recipes

While some parents boast that their kids happily devour bowlfuls of quinoa and kale and wash them down with a spirulina shake, most of us have kids who shun veggies and are definitely picky about what they'll eat.

P

From the Message Boards

Blended Families

Advice Please

I have been married for 12 years now. My husband is 22 years older then myself but we have a wonderf...

Natural Family Planning and FAM

NFP Method

For a variety of reasons, I went off the hormonal birth control pill about 3 months ago. I was on it...

JustMommies Article Commentary

Get Pregnant Now: 12 Ideas to Help You Get Pregnant Right Away

You may have heard that you have a 20-25 percent chance of conceiving during any given menstrual cyc...

JustMommies Welcome Center

New Here. :)

Hi ladies. New here. Found this site while doing a Google search for forums. Figured I would join yo...

JustMommies Article Commentary

What To Do When You're Not Getting Pregnant

Let's face it, getting pregnant is not always as easy as it sounds. As many stories as you have hear...

» Check out the friendliest message board for moms and moms-to-be!