View Single Post
April 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel year round a vacation too. Usually he's the one that wants to do the stuff (except math, but now, he's not only doing what he's suppose to he's doing more. Even if he tells me he doesn't want to do more, he'll sneak away and do more ) Whenever we go to my family's I watch his interest for learning plummet. We stayed away Christmas time too because it's sad and a hassle to get him to enjoy it again. I just didn't want to bother with trying to get him to enjoy it again. Now summers coming and we're being asked when we're coming up and when his summer vacation is, almost in the same breath. Again I don't want to deal with his enjoyment for learning plummeting expectantly right now!

At the same time I want to go see family, him be able to go to there free half day summer camp, the free church camp he loves, summer music night, fireworks, family parties, Renaissance fair and the desperately needed swimming lessons.

But they really aren't fair to him. I don't want him to notice and as he gets older he will. They don't seem to want to understand when he has a meltdown, almost seem to accidentally instigate one, Then as we're dealing with it they add thing like: "He's to old to be doing that", "He wouldn't be able to do that if he was in school", "Why's he doing that". They hold him to a higher standard then they hold his cousin that is five years older then him.

At the same time I know they don't mean to be like this to him. He looks much older then he is, they obviously don't agree with HS or at least year round, but there very supportive of him, HS and everything we do 1000's of miles away I just don't get them. I'm putting together a "year-book" of stuff that he did to send them with his first performance, video he made and a karate tournament or getting his first belt. I think a lot of it is lack of understanding but I don't want them to feel we're doing educational neglect. I already know how my mom feels about the child picking what they learn... NOT pretty... she has no idea Miguel does that.