View Single Post
May 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My first option of using a free-standing birth center may be out. Well, not out, but we are considering moving farther than we thought, which would put us at 1.5-2 hours from the center. I just don't want to drive that distance in labor, so I'm looking at all the other options. There's a hospital that offers jacuzzi tubs and water births in the city we're looking at being now, and they also have a midwife practice. I've gotten a few midwife reccomendations from Mothering.com, so I can start looking into them. DH did agree to a home birth though, and it's really tempting. I would love to do a home birth, but I'm not sure if water birth will be an option. Can you use your regular tub just to labor in at home with a home birth? Or is it best to find a midwife with a tub you can rent? I was really excited about the idea of a water birth, so I'm torn. The disadvantage to the hospital is that I don't want to have to stay long after the birth. I like the idea of never leaving the house, or wondering "Is it time to go yet?" and settling right in once the baby is born, having everything handy and being in a familiar environment.
What can you tell me about a home birth and the pros and cons of them?