View Single Post
May 2nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had three hospital births and one home birth. I can't think of one single con for our home birth. I loved that during early labor DH and I walked around our neighborhood to get the contractions going. I had planned on a waterbirth in our tub (it's a garden tub) but in the end I was most comfortable out of the water. I had food when I was hungry and I labored and delivered in any position I wanted. I just felt amazingly at peace during Reid's birth. My DH, Mom and two midwives were present and it was a very low key birth. Afterwards we all took a nap in our own bed and were free to set our own schedule without anyone coming in every half hour to take a temperature, blood pressure, etc. I went well past my due date, delivering at 42w3d and I am sure that wouldn't have happened if I had been under the care of an OB. My midwife took excellent care of me, our baby and involved the whole family in the birth experience.

I know for me my home birth was much more than just the birth. The whole model of midwifery home care was amazing. I had hour long appointments, I was seen much more frequently after birth than I was by my former OBs. I formed a great connection with my midwife and still see her socially and it's a really cool thing