First Appointment with Midwife today
View Single Post
May 27th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Here are the questions i compiled for my midwife
1. what is included in the fees? what will i need to provide?
2. at what point in my labor will you or your assistant come to my home?
3. what is your hospital transfer rate?
4. "How many clients do you have due in any 4 week period, and what is the plan if I go into labor while you're with another laboring client?"
5. Do you have guidelines or restrictions about who can give birth at home?
6. What is your definition of "high-risk"?
7. When do I call you?
8. How would you handle a hemorrhage?
9. eating drinking, moving, blood tests ?
10. What is your back-up system during pregnancy and labor—when you go on vacation, are sick or with another mother?
11. Have you ever missed a birth? If so, what were the circumstances?
12. Are you available 24 hours a day at all times?
1. What are your expectations of clients during pregnancy?
2. Can you recommend or will you loan to us appropriate books , videos, internet sites, etc. to help us prepare for homebirth?
3. What do your checkups consist of?
4. Do you allow the mother to go past 42 weeks and still have a homebirth?
What are your standards for preeclampsia?
5. Do you come to my home any time before I go into labor?
Hospital and Obstetrician
1. What situations do you consult the Obstetrician for?
2. What problems or complications in pregnancy would mean that a physician would 3.become my primary maternity caregiver?
4. Under what circumstances do you transfer to hospital?
5. What is your percentage of hospital transfers?
6. What would be the plan of action if a transfer to hospital were necessary?
7. What care would you give me if I need to transfer?
8. Would you stay with me in the hospital?
9. For how long after the birth?
What do you perceive your role to be during my labor?
What are your expectations of clients during birth?
What equipment and supplies do you bring to a birth?
What natural comfort techniques do you provide?
What pharmaceutical drugs, homeopathics and/or herbs do you use at births?
What is your usual approach to a labor that is progressing slowly?
How often do you listen to baby during labor?
How do you feel about having a doula at a homebirth?
How much time do you allow for the delivery of the placenta?
What is done with the placenta once its delivered?
Do you allow the placenta to be delivered underwater?
What happens if my perineum needs stitching/suturing?
What supplies do I need for the birth? Where can I purchase those supplies?
Do you help with cleanup?
How long do you stay after the birth?
How do I obtain the baby’s birth certificate?
How often do you come to see me after I give birth?
What do these visits include?
How often will I visit you after the birth?
What do these visits include?
Do you examine the baby at any or all of your visits?
What does the examination include?
under what circumstances would an induction be in order
how do you think the pushing stage should be managed?
what prenatal tests do you recommend?
cord clamping and cutting?
How many births have you attended?
How many internal checks do you normally perform?
Do you have a problem using a fetalscope instead of Doppler most of the time?
How many assistants do you normally bring to the birth?
Does your rate include transfers that occur during labor, or all transfers, including conditions that develop before labor?
What hospitals have you transferred to? (The closest to us)
What is your favorite hospital to transfer to?
What is your cut-off for considering a baby to be premature and requiring a hospital birth?
What happens if I go past 42 weeks?
What conditions make me high risk (GD, etc)? Do you have herbal protocols to try to follow for these conditions before labeling a client as high risk (GD, preeclampsia, etc)? Do you deliver breech babies?
What do you try to turn a breech baby?
How long are you willing to wait for a baby in a bad position to change positions before labelling the pregnancy high risk?
What is your protocol to prevent tearing?
How long are you willing to let a client push, or do you base it solely on the baby's stress level?
Are you willing to use alternative protocols for Strep B such as grapefruit seed extract?
Do you have a protocol to help prevent me from being positive for Strep B?
Do you have a problem waiting for a while after the placenta is delivered to cut the cord?
What protocol do you use to stop excessive bleeding after delivery?
Have you had experience with cord prolapse?
Do you have any special things you do after a birth such as an herbal bath?
During labor, how active are you in checking the client, etc?
What equipment do you normally bring to the birth (birthing stool? blow-up pool? oxygen? ambu-bag? pitocin shot?)
Under what conditions would you artificially rupture the amniotic sac?
Do you do the required newborn screening bloodtests, or will I need to see a doctor for this?
Have you had any bad outcomes for the baby or the mother? Please explain them.
Hope that helps !!
Me - Daynuh
View Public Profile
Find all posts by booboobunny