Topic: New here
View Single Post
June 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Veteran
Hi, I'm new here. I'm taking my little girl for her 6 month appointment tomorrow and I'm pretty sure she has eczema. I've been trying to figure out what is wrong since she was 2 months old. She started with a red spot at the top of her thigh where her diaper rubs against her skin. I was told initially that it is just dry skin and to put Aquaphor on it and try different diapers. I did that and it would get lighter but not completely gone. Then once she started sitting up and sitting in her high chair she started itching behind her knees all of the time and has two large red areas behind her knees with some scaly looking skin. I was putting Aquaphor on it twice a day and it would get a little better overnight but everytime I change her or give her a bath she scratches it all up again. During all this time also she hasn't been able to sleep more than an hour at a time without waking up crying. All day and night she is always kicking her legs and can't seem to settle. She has never slept through the night. I was afraid to put too much lotion on her because when she originally had it by her diaper area I lotioned her with the Johnson's lotion and she ended up getting a yeast infected diaper rash that was horrible.

So I went to the doctor last week for a cold for her and picked up a pamphlet on Eczema and it was like wow I finally know what is wrong and I feel so bad for her to think she was so itchy all this time. So this weekend I got some Aveeno moisturizing lotion and baby eczema cream. I keep lotioning her everytime I change her and already I see a huge difference. All the areas are just a little pink now but she does keep trying to scratch all the time. Does the itching ever lessen? I guess this is why she wasn't able to sleep because last night was the first time she slept 6 hours without me having to go in there at all.

I have a few questions.

What type of diapers do you use? Right now I use Huggies and I buy an extra large size so it doesn't rub too much on the one spot of her leg.

Is Dreft ok to use? I use that for detergent and just bought the Bounce free fabric softener this weekend.

What about pools and sun lotion? We are going on vacation in 3 weeks at a waterpark and will spend most of the summer in my parents pool. Do I have to limit her and keep her out?

I'm just hoping my doctor thinks that this is what it is so that he can help me treat it. It looks so much better now that I'm not sure he will believe me. Oh, on the allergy route. She is on Soy formula since 1 week old due to reflux and gas problems. The only new thing introduced to her at the 2 month time frame was rice cereal so I don't know if she is really allergic to anything. Also I found out at a family party this last weekend that 5 people on my husbands side have it.

Sorry it's so long. Any help would be appreciated. I'll let you know how the appointment goes tomorrow. I look forward to getting to know everyone! I also have two older sons and neither one of them has had this.

Thanks,
Kathy