Topic: IVF Bound!
View Single Post
July 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you didn't have any dominant or mature follicles. That happened to me with the Clomid all the way up to 150mg. Once the doctor added Follistim injections to my meds (combo cycle) - that did the trick. I've heard alot of great follicle results from a COMBINATION cycle or PURE cycle (just FSH injections - Follicle Stimulating hormone) which is still SO MUCH cheaper than IVF. Just a thought.

I remember tearing up and crying on my drive home from the Clomid cycle where they said their were no dominant or mature follicles. Luckily they were awesome and I started Provera immediately (I started it that same day, drove straight to the pharmacy) to restart my period so we could start again to do the combo cycle without any delay

The Clomid & Femara only work INDIRECTLY on the ovaries by tricking the brain and isn't very reliable. The FSH injections like Follistim (or Gonal-F, Bravelle) work DIRECTLY on the ovaries and are usually VERY effective. I hope your consult goes well and you guys find a treatment that works best for you. We're going to do up to 3-4 IUI's before IVF since it's still sooo much cheaper. Good luck and keep us posted on how your consult goes! [/b]

April, there's a part of me that really wants to try the injectibles....however, Dr. Duffy said that he would *NOT* do injectibles for me because my ovaries are so severely polycystic and he was afraid of over stimulating me even on the lowest dose HOWEVER, Dr. Freeman *may* feel differently and might suggest it <?????>

My only reservation is that we've ALREADY spent so much money in the past year <$2,000 in hospital bills, $2,000 in funeral expenses, $2,000 at the RE so far> We're at $6K ALREADY and haven't ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING!!! I just don't know if I want to spend $1,000 for an injectible/IUI cycle when I've had such bad luck thus far

I guess there's a part of my heart that isn't totally made up yet!! I'm going to consider everything Dr. Freeman discusses on Monday and we will go from there
[/b]
oH girl! I know it must be so hard to know what's the best decision. My RE said they hold off on doing PURE FSH cycles (injectables only) at first for patients with PCOS because our ovaries tend to stimulate so easy. I only do 2 days of injectables at a lower dose. Our IUI only costs $274 total since our meds are covered by insurance, but if yours ranges around 1K then I can certainly see why you would prefer to move ahead with IVF. I would probably feel the same way.

Keep us posted on how your consultation goes!

Our 2 year journey through Infertility & conceiving via IUI
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1a8678