View Single Post
August 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Veteran
First off, congrats to your man for helping his DD realize you need rest! Because when I was pregnant with the twins, I still had to cater to my 8 year old DSD and take care of my baby who was around 8 months at this paticular time. She will not starve herself and since she is independent you can easily have sandwich makings for her. Make the dinner, let her know what you're having. If it is something like spaghetti and she doesn't like the veggies you put in the sauce, take out some sauce for her before you add the veggies. Maybe have her help rinse or wash the pot her sauce goes into.

I was that picky eater and my parents did that a lot, they'd just take out some food and set it aside before adding the stuff I didn't like, or there was sandwiches or sometimes chicken nuggets. You can also get her chicken nuggets she can microwave, but just one box for the week, she can decide when to eat them and when they're gone it's sandwiches.

Take out is nice, for a treat. You can use her fondness for it as a tool to get her to try new things. Just a couple bites, if she doesn't like it that's okay. And then on Friday she gets a happy meal for trying a couple bites of each dinner for the week. Though I'll tell you, for me being picky was all about the smell as well as the taste of the food. If it smelled too strong, like a lot of veggies do, then it would turn my stomach before I even would get it in my mouth.

Try to have meat and cheese as well as peanut butter and jelly. Have fruit on hand too. And sneak in some V8 juice into whatever red sauces you can, my dad used to do that with the spicy kind with tomato paste for spaghetti sauce and I only found out when I caught him. Or tomato sauce in with taco meat, makes it saucy and adds a little veggie. Just don't let her catch you!

It sounds like her and her dad are workable and willing to work with you. My situation is totally the opposite, we wait on DSD like she is the queen, and since she is the guest of honor she gets whatever she wants. I've gotten her to the point of asking me before she grabs her sweets and sodas, and make sure there's sugar free Kool Aid to drink. But sometimes she will just run in and grab something or beg for subway, and I correct her. But that all changes when DH gets home, then it's candy and gum and soda constantly, I mean she always has something sweet in her mouth all evening and gets so wild. She does eat what I make though, so there is that.

How old is she again? Maybe she can make something she likes, like good old kid friendly hamburger helper with some very minimal help from you. She can also bake chicken in two smaller and lighter pans, if she's old enough. She can measure out rice, or water and potato flakes for mashed potatos. See what she can do, and have her make a couple dinners. Just be sure to have a salad, or veggies for you and DH! You can sit in a kitchen chair with your feet up and supervise easily enough. And now's the time to teach her if she's old enough and is capable enough, because it'll be a help once the baby comes and once baby comes you'll be hard pressed to find the time to teach her then.