View Single Post
August 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
Hi,

We are expecting our first baby this October, and I am planning on breastfeeding for as long as possible. The problem? None of my side of the family are happy with it. My mom bottle fed me and my brother, my aunts think it's disgusting... Much of this stems from feelings they have toward my uncle's wife, who they believe breastfed for less-than-good reasons (not to mention she had very poor nutrition throughout and almost starved her children because she insisted on just breastmilk for way longer than was recommended). Now they basically think it's a perverted thing to do.

I am not about to go out of my way to defend my beliefs to them, but I'd like to be able to have some quick facts to give them (my mom thinks you only should breastfeed for the first six weeks, if even that) when I am around them and need to feed my daughter. I'd rather not deal with nasty comments, but some family get-togethers are hard to avoid. Besides, it's the first baby in my family for a long time, so I know they'll all want to see her.

Thanks in advance.

xoxo
Maggi

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!