View Single Post
August 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What is "breastfeeding for less than good reasons"? IMO unless a woman is sexually abusing her children, there are no "less than good reasons" for breastfeeding. Even if a woman breastfeeds because she likes it - you're supposed to like it. Nature sets it up that way in most cases and most women who get beyond the initial problems love it and are quite enthusiastic about it.

As far as nutrition goes, even women in third world countries produce good quality breastmilk for their babies even on less than optimal diets. Read what kellymom has to say about the effect of mom's diet on her breastmilk (very little).

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

Also what is breastfeeding for "too long"? A baby gets their nutritional needs met by breastmilk for the first year of life. Solids are often introduced much earlier, in some cases as early as 4 months - but 6 months is more often recommended - but these are for practice only and should not be providing the bulk of baby's intake.

I'd say the first thing to do is not listen to your family about how wrong your uncle's wife was for breastfeeding. Anyone who thinks that breastfeeding is "perverted" in the first place is just so woefully misinformed and so entrenched in their biases don't be surprised if no matter what you say, they think they know better. That said, kellymom (quoted above) is a great site with lots of great info. Here is a list of 101 reasons to breastfeed your child:

http://www.promom.org/101/

And of course read posts around here. These ladies are an enthusiastic and well informed bunch. Breastfeeding is one of the best things I've ever done in my life and my family has had to make adjustments to get used to it, they don't understand it sometimes, but they are dealing.

They are likely to "worry" that your baby isn't "getting enough" because there is no way to "tell how many ounces" your baby is consuming. My stock answer for this one is that you can't have output without input so we just count pee and poopy diapers and if there are enough of those, obviously he's getting enough. My family stopped asking me after his first appointment at the pediatrician when he put on a good amount of weight and grew an inch in two weeks .