View Single Post
September 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
December update!
Hello again ladies! I hope you are enjoying your new TODDLERS and I would bet you're all working hard towards Christmas. I just wanted to share a Youtube video titled: Ignorance meets Knowledge in the hopes it helps our breastfeeding moms to be inspired. I hope you're all doing well.

Cheers,

Michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~
November Update:

I invite you (again) to the Breastfeeding past one year board to celebrate YOUR breastfeeding milestones! Sign in on the stickied check in thread. We have lots of blinkies for you to snag, and lots of information on the benefits of breastfeeding past one year, nutrition, and the right age of weaning. Lastly, we have a stickied thread about handling criticism about breastfeeding. We'd love to have you with us, expand our community spirit and foster those wonderful breastfeeding relationships you are having with your little ones.

Over the last month we had the International Breastfeeding Challenge and the results are in. (Scroll down to see JM's members participation.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet

One more website. <--- I don't love this one but it adds to help give more information about "extended" nursing benefits.

Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers

Breastfeeding beyond the first year

Justmommies article by Jack Newman. MD Breastfeeding a toddler?

Book recommendation: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback) by Norma Jane Bumgarner (Author)

Sore nipples? Teething? Let's start by some old basics Why are my nipples sore after months of pain-free nursing? and when babies bite. <--- You might want to check over over everything but scroll down to Not really biting, but scraping teeth or indentations because those are some good ideas for sure! Uncomfortable latch has some good ideas for repositioning our overzealous toddlers. Also, I read Are you feeling overwhelmed by your child's intense needs? to help me put things into persceptive. (Trust me, from time to time, even the most loving and dedicated moms need reassurance.) If nothing in those threads help in anyway, scroll through here to see if anything grabs at you.

I can tell you from my experience so far that I've found breastfeeding to be a necessity. While we all have our own idea's on discipline, I feel nursing is the best distraction tool when dd needs redirection. When she is frustrated, boobie is the answer. When she hurts herself, boobie makes it all better. I've been compiling information about the immunity aspects too. Some of the health benefits are listed above but there is not a way to describe the bond, trust and love of breastfeeding at these developmental stages they're taking. Breastfeeding past one year isn't for everyone for many reasons but if you're continuing, happy and comfortable with it, why stop? It really is the best choice for babies, toddlers and mothers.

From this site a PDF presentation: The Natural age of Weaning

The author of that site has a book that is all about parenting but it's just some of the best breastfeeding information I've come across. It's called Baby Matters and is by Linda F. Palmer DC. Here's the book on-line. FREE! On the back of the book it says about Linda F. Palmer DC ~ she is a doctor of chiropractic, a consultant and speaker on pediatric nutrition and natural parenting challenges, a science writer, and a mother. She left her chiropractic practice shortly after the birth of her son, when she was confronted with his serious health complications and astounded by the lack of accurate or helpful information from doctors or books. For her son's sake, she delved deeply into the scientific and medical literature to find answers ~ which led to further questions and more astonishing realizations.

I highly recommend it and her website for nutritional information from introducing cow's milk, to breastfeeding.

Obviously weaning will happen to us all one day. This is a personal decision with you, your child and your nursing relationship as the factors. Some resources for you, titled Breastfeeding <---- Scroll down to the part about weaning and one more here for weaning.

There is always something new so come join us anytime. All the best.

Cheers, Michelle

October update:

We have some new polls at Breastfeeding past one year that include (but aren't limited too
Have you been to a LLL meeting?
Have you had Mastitis?
Alcohol?
Have you had blocked ducts?
Your weight?

And a couple of new members! Please come and welcome them in.
*Jillian*
SarahLoo

And most importantly, there is still time to find a local meet up for the Breastfeeding challenge of 2008! The international date is October 12.

Come over and just chit chat too. I hope we can have helpful topics that help continue your breastfeeding relationship with your LO's.

Cheers,
Michelle (Host of Breastfeeding past one year)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have, please also join us on the Breastfeeding past one year board. If we bounce from this board to the other, we have two great place to draw from!