View Single Post
September 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to CaseyM
I was playing a RPG game on the internet and people started writing stuff in the chat room about something happening in NY and telling us all to put our TVs on. I put the TV on and watched in disbelief what was happening. As I was watching, the 2nd plane hit and I saw it happen live on TV. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I didn't even realize it, but I guess I screamed because my (then) brother in law came running out of his bedroom half asleep and wanted to know why I was crying. I just pointed to the TV and he looked at it and woke in a matter of seconds. We just watched and couldn't believe it. Then while I was getting ready for work, the 3rd plane went into the Pentagon. That just did it for me. I was a wreck. I went into work and on the way there is when the plane went down in PA. Everyone at work was just so quiet and stuff. Customers that were coming in were giving us updates and the TV was on CNN the whole day in the breakroom. People were crying all day long. We were actually very worried at work because we had a former coworker that had gotten a job at WTC and we didn't know where he was. No one could get a hold of him. He finally called two days later to say that he was okay. He was evacuated and had to walk across the bridge with the other thousands of people. It was a day that I will never forget, no matter how old I get.
I so wanted to run right down to the Red Cross after work and the next couple of days to donate, but I couldn't because of my anemia. But all I wanted to do was do something. Most sporting events were canceled that weekend, but we still had our local car race. It was a special night with fun events instead of the usual races. Our 50/50 jackpot is usually around 2500 or so. So I emailed the owner of the track and suggested that instead of giving half to the winner and half to the points fund, we donate the points fund half to the Red Cross Relief Fund that they had started. We eneded up with over $3000 in the pot before they drew. I was so happy that they did that. I felt like I had done something.

I hope that I never have to experience that again. Everyone involved is always in my T&P.....

Love to share pics on my facebook....

casey cochran melanson