View Single Post
October 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A definite ditto on taking lots and lots of pictures. No one else has to see them, but you'll want them when it's all over.

Have a doula, if you can. Mine was WONDERFUL for doing the little nitpicky things (fetching food, laundry, etc.)

Have a bowl handy in case you get nauseous, so you won't have to get out of a comfy position to run for the bathroom. But then, of the best memories of my labor was watching my doula RUN from the kitchen and DIVE for the birthing pool with a bowl for me. She was awesome - she actually made it!

Have a plan ready for who will be called and when after the baby arrives. DON'T stress yourself out with too many visitors at once! My midwife hung a note on the door to tell guests that I needed to rest (with the baby!) and to please limit visits to fifteen minutes. This was *wonderful* as I have a very hard time fighting the urge to play hostess - never mind actually asking people to leave.

Most of all...just listen to yourself. This is your show, and things need to go your way. Be flexible, but be firm when telling your support team what you want or need. And relax when the big moment arrives, and enjoy it. Sounds funny to tell someone to ENJOY their labor...but wow, it really is incredible doing it at home.