View Single Post
November 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do feel environment has an impact. It doesn't mean you can't have a very successful NCB in a hospital, but I think you need to be more insistent about what you want. If others are not willing to work with you and you dont' have someone else fighting for you, then that can make it more difficult. I feel that the hospital I gave birth to DD in was not very flexible with a NCB. I would have really had to fight to get things a certain way. Having a good doula or midwife would certainly help though.
One place I found some good information was the Mothering.com forums, which have a "Find your tribe" section. There were a lot of local moms willing to point me in the right direction. I was lucky, there's only 1 or 2 birth centers in my state and the biggest one is 30 minutes away. It's a great place and I'm so happy I chose it for this birth. I didn't start going there from the beginning of my pregnancy, but only because we knew we were moving and we weren't sure where to yet. I was lucky and it was still close enough that I could use the birth center, so I switched over around the time I was 4 months pregnant.
I don't know much about pre-e, so I'm not sure how to prevent it. Midwives typically focus a lot on keeping mom healthy though, so she can avoid complications during the pregnancy.
I hope you are able to get the birth that you want. It's always worth a try!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!