View Single Post
November 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi All! I'm new to this board and was very happy to see there was a home birth forum.
DH and I are still TTC, but of course I have to research everything and over analyze way before the time comes. LOL
The more I research, and read, the more I really really want to have a home birth and/or water birth. The problem is, I called my insurance carrier, and asked about coverage of midwives. They DO cover midwives, but none in the area take my insurance! Grrr. I live in Henderson, NV, which is the outskirts of Las Vegas. You'd think a big town like this would have a lot, but there are hardly any! We're not very progressive in that way, which is very disappointing to me.
To have a midwife in my area, I would have a $500 deductible, and after that they only cover 60% (while if I go to the hospital, it's 80% covered and not such a big deductible). That's hard for me because DH and I are stable financially at this point, but at the same time I cannot afford huge medical bills. KWIM?

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not sure how much money something like this costs in the first place.
Do you all think it's worth having the medical bills? I'm so afraid of overwhelming bills that will stack up.
Is it even possible to have a positive hospital experience?? I've heard so many horror stories that I'm kind of freaking out (already!).

Any advice would be so awesome!
Thanks!