View Single Post
November 13th, 2008, 01:40 PM
~Heather~
Unfortunately I can be removed from the due date list here .
After searching for weeks to find a homebirth midwife in our area, We thought we had finally found one...So I sent in some paper work to see about our insurance covering it.
One day, while waiting to hear back, DH was at work (he's a Paramedic) and one of his co-workers asked how I was doing...DH told him we thought we had finally found a midwife, but when he told him where she was from, his co-worker was concerned because he had made several runs (on the Ambulance) to that area for home birth patients with a particular midwife, but wasn't sure of her name.
So next time DH was at work he asked several others if they had ever heard of her, and every single one of them said the same thing! They all said she was VERY unprofessional, and didn't seam to know what she was doing! There were times that they got there and she was crying in the corner because she didn't know what to do! NOT cool!!
The complications/reasons for the ambulance, were regarding the infant- respiratory distress, respiratory arrest, and heart problems! And she wasn't doing anything to help! the baby would just be lying there, not even having been suctioned out (which I know is not always necessary, but when the baby's turning blue!...).
And she never carried a fetal heart monitor, IV fluids, oxygen...anything! I know not everybody needs those things, but sometimes you do! She was also never able to give times for when complications started...not good!
Any way, one of the other paramedics told DH that because he was going to be there we would be ok...
But we're not looking to pay someone with less knowledge than DH just for the fun of it! Nor someone that's going to freak out at the first sings of trouble! The whole reason for having her there would be so DH wouldn't have to worry about me and the baby (because it's always different when it's your own family!).
So this being the case I decided to call a friend of mine that's pregnant with her 4th baby, due just 2 weeks before me! She sees a privet practice CNM, who delivers in our local hospital, and absolutely loves her!...At first I was quite nevus about the whole hospital experience thing and wasn't sure it's what I wanted...but after talking to Ruth (my friend) and getting to ask her some questions about the environment, I felt much better! Everything we've heard so far is that this hospital is a very christian atmosphere, and very willing to work with you. I did get to tour the hospital while at my last appointment (normally she would see me in her office, but she had a girl go into labor so she just had me come there), and it was sooo quiet! I was pleasantly surprised! The hospital does have a tub room...but they don't allow you to give birth in them (which I think is dumb!...but oh well).
I'm planning on staying in the comfort of my own home to labor as long as possible with my DH and my mom (who's a Doula as well). And I'll be having an all natural labor/delivery (so long as nothing goes horribly wrong!). I'm not to worried about being pushed to do something I disagree with...My midwife is very sportive in natural birthing... And I'm pretty out spoken, as is my very protective DH! This may be our first, but neither one of us is at all uneducated! So they don't stand much chance

All this to say I'm not getting the homebirth that I had always wanted, but hopefully all goes well, and more importantly than where it takes place we end up with a beautiful healthy baby! I am disappointed, but neither DH or I feel comfortable having our first unattended (believe me, we considered it)...so our options were limited...Maybe next time we'll go that rout though...We'll see!

I enjoyed being here for the short time I was...and I'll continue lurking! ...