View Single Post
December 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your doula won't be a stranger when you give birth though- you'll have opportunities before (plenty) to get to know and trust her. You'll have meet with her multiple times, and had lots of opportunity for phone and email support.

Maybe you could just talk to a few on the phone- you may decide you really do want to meet with one, and then you can meet, then you can have a few days to solidify in your mind if you want to have her attend your birth.

Also- you can make sure you have a doula who won't mind giving you privacy if you decide you want it. I would talk about it with her when you meet, and you may decide you want to have there there. You can decide later- you don't need to feel pressured. I would make sure the doula has at least 2 meeting with you (after the consult), and that you have unlim. phone and email support. You may also benefit from a doula who teached childbirth ed. Some will even do private classes, which gives you a great chance to really get to know her better.

I'm personally would not give birth without a doula- especially if I were in the hospital. It's just too hard to have the birth you want there- without the right support.