View Single Post
February 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Veteran
Hmph! Men are poopoo heads!!! GRRRR! I think that's very inconsiderate of him.

How would he feel if you had a smoke while you were preggers? If you know he would get really pissed off and hissy about it, then honey, you need to give him a wake up call. Next time you two are just sitting together, and he lights up, make a point to grab his pack, take a smoke out, put it in your mouth and ask him to pass the lighter. Like I said, if you know he's super against it, then he'll freak out, tell you to get that smoke out of your mouth and blablabla about how bad it is for the baby. To which you can reply "why can't I smoke? You smoke around me and it's the same thing as me having one, so why should I have to through the trouble of quitting?" Maybe that'll get to him and make him realize you're not joking. Now, don't actually have the smoke but threaten at least. Tell him that you've gone two weeks w/o smoking because you care about this little one, and if he cares, he needs to at least make the effort to take it outside! It's not like you're asking him to quit altogether! You're really not asking for much.
And on the other hand, if he's indifferent about smoking while preggers, then maybe try a little guilt from your end. Tell him that quitting smoking is extremely tough...the body goes through withdrawl and causes stress...The harder it is on you, the harder it is on the baby...You could actually end up losing the baby if your body goes into too much of a shock (try not to let this scare you, but this is what my doc told me. I also smoked before baby so he told me that I need to quit slowly, not right away all at once because the stress can make me have a miscarriage). So to make it easier for you, he needs to take it outside, otherwise he's causing more stress on you, which puts the baby at risk. I mean, seeing him light up must make you kind of crave, no? I still crave when my mom lights up in front of me, and please don't hate me, but I've had one or two drags of her smokes just to ease the craving. So I know first hand that it's way harder to quit when those around you aren't!
I dunno, you don't have to take any of this advice, but definately talk to him. And if her persists, and it still really bothers you, then leave. Take a week or two and go stay with your parents, or a friend or something...He'll get the picture.
Good luck sweety! Ah! All this talk about cigarettes are making me want one!!! Good thing I don't have any and no one around me is a smoker. (oh yeah, never mind, I'm alone right now because my b/f is visiting precious mommy!!! AHHHH!!!!!)