View Single Post
February 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Veteran
Hey,
Well I just did a bit of research...Check out http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm
This has all the ages of consent around the globe including the states. Scroll down and you'll find a break down of all the states and Iowa (I'm sorry, I checked your profile and it says you live in Iowa, so that's what I went with) has a consenting age of 14/16...I think your friend is safe, but I'd advise her to actually call like a lawyer or someone of the sort to confirm that before doing anything. To just call and ask is free.
Now if it turns out that he was of consenting age, and if she does decide to keep the baby, then who gives a crap about how he feels! If he wants to be a jerk, then hit him up hard for child support. The baby shouldn't go without just because he wasn't "ready" to be a dad. It takes TWO baby!!!

And as for finances...I've always told everyone that no matter what, people find a way to make things work if they really want it. There are sooooo many support groups and resources that can help her with all this. Plus, family and friends are a huge asset to have right now! Second hand stores and hand-me-downs are a tremendous help for those who aren't rich. Baby showers are also a god send! So just be very encouraging with her, and let her know that she's not alone...she has you already and what a great friend you are for helping her out right now!
And if she really can't go through with keeping the baby, and she can't afford an abortion, then she can always look into adoption. I don't really know how that works, but I know that some places will pay for all the doctors appointments and all the hospital bills, and all the prenatal care she'll need. It shouldn't have to cost her a thing! And she can opt to have it be an open adoption where she can still see the baby and have contact with the child.
This may be the better option for her if the others don't really work for her. Tons and tons of options out there for people in her shoes!
Wish her luck and keep us posted on how she's doing!