Topic: btdt mama's
View Single Post
January 31st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Swimming Upstream
Quote:
...I kept my eyes closed and focused only on releasing every muscle in my body so that I wouldn't tense up and so that my uterus could do it's job without interference... I liked silence and quiet voices if talking needed to be done... and just focused, focused, focused on the whole realease of my body. It takes a lot of mind control and practice (active practice) on realeasing your every muscle and not tensing. Tensing up causes pain. I have had 3 pain free births. NOt to say they were easy peasy...it's the HARDEST thing I've ever done, but it was quiet, and working, and not painful in an OUCH sort of sense. My next two births were exactly the same w/much shorter pushing times and I was able to do what I needed to do with my eyes open for more of it. I do totally focus INWARDLY though...music would have been a distraction. Candles would have meant nothing to me. Quiet was everything to me...not being touched was everything to me...not having people staring at me is a big big thing for me! ha ha. Hope some of this helps.

I say READ UP, ask questions etc. BUT when you're in labor you'll find your own groove and you'll throw out what doesn't work for you and you WILL find what does. Just remember to RELAX and RELEASE. Release your body to do it's job without your interference. That's the BEST advice I can give you.[/b]
Wow! This is me. People talking don't bother me, but I can't stand a radio or tv. And I don't want to be touched! It is too distracting.

My first birth was very easy, I'll admit. The second was, too. Before my third birth I read "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" and what an incredible difference it made. I did not "do" any of the stuff in the book, but I learned about how the uterine muscles work and how to visualize that. That's exactly what I did and I had almost no pain with #3. With number 4 it was even better. I did not push at all. My body did the work. I pushed one time to get him out and that was it. It was incredible how much I could feel going on inside. It gave such confidence and hope to know where the baby was and to feel my cervix opening up for him! Wow! I think I've had as pain free a birth as one can have. As kimmers said, it's a totally different kind of pain, almost dull.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14