View Single Post
February 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Swimming Upstream
People always say a woman is __________ for having a homebirth: brave, crazy, irresponsible, fill in your own word. I have had four homebirths (planning a fifth) because I am educated/informed and believe this is the safest thing for mother and baby in a normal pregnancy. But... knowing about things like blood loss, babies not breathing, cord wrapped around a neck where transfer is neccessary, blah, blah, blah... I would never be comfortable birthing alone or even with just dh here. I want someone with experience and a cool head to recognize potential problems and deal with actual ones. I am amazed at my mw's intuition and experience. While she does nothing really to "help" me give birth, I know she is trained to handle a potentially serious problem should one arise. Otherwise, she just supports me, which in itself was very important my first two births.

So... how do you prepare to birth unassisted. Do you get training on resuscitation and have equipment ready? Do you have the little pink pills on hand in case of too much bleeding? Do you learn about how to deal with other problems during labor or after birth?

I truly am clueless and I'd love to know more about your decisions. I had never heard of so many uc until this forum.

Thanks!

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14