Topic: Cytotec
View Single Post
February 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Quote:
Quote:
My initial response is it is time for a new midwife.

Cytotec is a drug that should only be administered by a care provider, it shouldn't be left with lay people to self administer.

I would hope your midwife would not leave you if she has fear of hemorrhage.[/b]
There are no other options for MW for a homebirth. She is a CNM not a lay midwife. I don't have any history of hemm. or any increased risk, she's just being overly-prepared. I was just concerned about the safety of using cytotec for hemm, but it seems it's only dangerous if you're still preg. and using it to induce (which she doesn't).
[/b]

If you are comfortable with her then all is good. I didn't say she was a lay midwife, I said medications shouldn't be administered by lay people, in other words, a mother and father shouldn't be given medication to self-administer if they determine they are hemorrhaging. Do you know what a hemorrhage looks like? Would you be certain you were hemorrhaging?

In any case, I do not think it is right for anyone to leave medications with you to self-administer.

That said, I have always had things for hemorrhage incase I needed them, but not cytotec. I had never heard of it as an appropriate medication to treat hemorrhage. There are many more out there and in all my textbooks I have only ever learned of other things.

Good luck with it all!