Be Aware Of Scams
View Single Post
February 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I am just me
Join Date: Mar 2004
How many times have you asked that question? How many times have others asked you that question? Have you ever been scammed yourself? Do you know what do look for?
(1) Never work for a company w/o checking the company's background. Do you even know who the company is? Do you know who the parent company is (if the company is a subsidiary).
(2) Never, ever, ever, ever pay for a job, for an interview, for a "processing fee", or for a list of leads!!! It's ok to buy products to start the inventory for your sales business, it's ok to do a criminal background check, and it's ok to get a license or certification (provided it's for a state or national organization and not just for the company itself), but it's
ok to pay for a job.
(3) Check out the company's website. Is it professionally made? Is there contact information listed? The name of the company, the URL, and all associated information should match, and the site should not be created by a free web company (like lycos or geocities). Are there misspelled words? Are there crazy graphics? Are there misshapen or mis-sized photos? Are there phrases like "make $500 per week working part time!!!" or are there lots and lots of testimonials to try to convince you the company is legit? (FYI... those testimonials are paid advertising, and/or they're made by people who helped found the company in the beginning.) Are there any phrases like "No experience necessary! Anyone can do this!" Seriously, if "anyone" could do it, "everyone" would be doing it.
(4) Check out what other people are saying. You can do this by going to google, yahoo, etc. and putting the name of the company (in quotes) along with the word scam into the search box. If you get a lot of responses from your search that link you to websites or forums full of people bashing the company, you should steer clear!!
(5) Check the scam websites!
The Better Business Bureau
The Federal Trade Commission
(6) If all else fails, ask us! Many of us have been researching WAH positions for years, so we've seen a lot!
IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE,
I do Swag Bucks! Come join me to earn FREE gift cards and other prizes
View Public Profile
Visit in_mommy's homepage!
Find all posts by in_mommy