Topic: Why?
View Single Post
February 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy

Why did you choose homebirth? Well, I didn't really CHOOSE it as much as it chose me. ha ha. Meaning, I had had two completely awesome freestanding birth center births in Kirkland, WA but then we moved to the other side of the state. We had begun to see a Naturopathic Doctor here who also happened to be a midwife so when I became pregnant with #3 I had no desire to use any other doc/midwife than her since I was already comfortable with her. The catch was that she didn't do anything other than home births. While there was a birth center in town, she was not involved in it so it wasn't something I was interested in. Later I got in touch w/my old midwives at the birthcenter in Kikland and decided to go to the Seattle area around my due date and stay w/my parents until I went into labor so that I could repeat my wonderful birth center experience again. So, I was going to just use my midwife/ND here for prenatal care then deliver on the other side of the state. As my due date came closer I started having second thoughts and feeling a pull towards staying home and having a home birth. I am SOOOOOO glad I did. All my apprehension about it was completely WRONG...the things that I thought would be a problem ended up being the best things! Like, cleaning and baking during labor...it was a wonderful diversion! Having my children milling about the house was awesome...just going about life as usual. It was GREAT. Anynow, long story for such a seemingly simple question. I'd never go to a birth center again unless it was my only option!

Did you know someone that has birthed at home before? Yes, my sister-in-law had.

Did you observe/attend a homebirth before? (if so, who) No, I had never been to one.

Did you read about it? Read LOTS about it.

Did you watch a film on it? Yes, in Gentle Birth Choices and other things from the library.

Tell why you are/have birthed at home. Well, next baby is due any time now and I can't imagine doing it any other way ever again. I'm excited about it!!!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~