Topic: Check in
View Single Post
March 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Veteran
I am currently TTC #5 (will be the second at home with us right now) and am planning an unattended pregnancy and an unattended home birth as well. I'm having difficulty finding overall support for what I want. I have had three pregnancies now unattended and have never been happier with the quality of care I can give *myself*. I know my body and when I need to go to the hospital. So why is it that I keep hearing people push about how "important" it is to get "prenatal care." I can do without all the needles, thank you, and I refuse any tests that aren't mandated by law (and the prenatal labs and the GBS are mandated if you get prenatal care).

DH is finally behind me in my decision to do this "my way" and I couldn't be happier. We were hoping to be due in November but we're now looking towards AF's arrival so that we can head into our next cycle.

All four of my other children were born in the hospital and they were all horrible experiences. With my first I was given unnecessary interventions that I refused. With my second I expected a doctor to be attending and the doctor didn't show up in time (the nurse caught the baby, and I do mean CAUGHT the baby). With the third, the doctor told me I had an hour left before I would be pushing and just LEFT. Well when she returned I was nursing my daughter!

The third wasn't so bad but I don't ever, ever want to have another induction. I have gone through four pregnancies without pain relief and I would rather not have to do that with pitocin ever again. I was forced to have an IV (my first ever) and although the staff were very kind to me, I held my baby for the first time almost two hours after she was born.

This, for me, is the natural way of doing things! I will be contacting our local midwives as soon as I am pregnant so that I have someone to call in case of an emergency, but other than that we are unassisted home birth all the way!

Thanks to MommaTrish for the Siggy!