Topic: so torn...
View Single Post
April 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
okay, so a few weeks ago I met with a homebirth midwife. I really like her (I'd met her before) and feel very comfortable with her. The main "downsides" are that she is not state licensed (she is a CPM, just doesn't have state credentials), and we have to pay out of pocket because she doesn't accept insurance (due to the licensing thing). Other than that I'm very comfortable with her.

Fast forward to today. I heard about a new homebirth midwifery team starting up in our area. So I emailed them and met with one of the women today. She's also really nice, though I didn't click with her quite as well. She is state licensed (just finished her training and certification a couple months ago) and they are working on contracts with insurance companies. So while I will probably be covered insurance-wise, chances are we'll have to pay at least part up front and wait for reimbursement.

plus during our conversation a couple things she said kinda set off my radar. First off, she lives nearly an hour away from me and at some point mid-pregnancy I'll start having to drive to her house for appointments. And she said that they are very conservative in regards to at what point they transfer people to the hospital. Which kinda concerns me.

The appeal of not paying out of pocket is high, but I just don't know what to do! My next appointment with the first midwife is May 1st...

Any thoughts?? I think my gut is telling me to stick with the first, but I don't know if that's just my uber-loyal personality talking (I have a VERY hard time quitting a job because I quickly feel loyalty to people/companies)...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!