View Single Post
April 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Heya! I'll give you some background info on me then see what I can answer of your questions!

My names Jo and I am nursing and co-sleeping with my almost-33mth old daughter. SHe only nurses night now (tried to cut it first but it worked out she found dropping days easier). Anyhoo, my AF returned when she was 9mths (April 2007) and I got pregs but miscarried Dec 2007. I started charting my temps Feb 2008 and am still here ttc! But I have found out many useful things in my time researching!

Firstly there are three stages of returning fertility whilst nursing (although you can skip the middle stage). That is 'no periods/no ovulation' then 'ovualtion but with a short luteal phase (days between ovualtion and period)' and then full fertility.

I have found I am stuck in the middle stage. Your luteal phase needs to be at least 10 days and mine have been around 7 or 8. This COULD be because of the prolactin released when nursing which keeps your progesterone hormone down (needed for pregnancy) and one of the most likely causes of miscarriage as with a short luteal phase it means your AF hormones effectively arrive before your implanted egg can build up enough hormone to override it.
Now I say 'could be' because I have spoken to breastfeeding counsillers and GP's but they disagree on whether breastfeeding effects fertility in this way or not. I have seen'/known loads of breastfeeding mothers who successfully nurse and have a healthy baby so I am doubtful this is the whole picture. Kellymom does state that 'a few rare women will find they can't get pregnant until nursing stops'

That still doesn't give an explanation as to why though and you'll find varied opinions online! I have decided to try to tackle my luteal phase defect through herbal and vitamin remedies. I have tried Vitex but it didn't change my LP and am currently trying B6 200mg (I'm mid way in my third cycle with that) and I did get my first ever 10 dap LP last cycle so I *think* it is working although obviously this cycle is key to finding out if it was more than a one-off!

And lastly just a quick note on the breastfeeding-prevents-ovulation rumour. This is only based on the principles of ecological breastfeeding (also known as LAM) and is dependant entirely on nursing-on-demand 24/7, no solids, and no pacifiers. As soon as one thing is introduced, even if its your partner doing one bottle once a week or baby rice once a day, it breaks that pattern and therefore increases your chance of ovulation and PPAF returning. Although of course - in the case of wanting to get pregnant - these things won't gurantee a return to fertility either! Our bodies are just too individual to be able to know what works for one person will work for another! lol, its all frustrating really isn't it!
I bumped into an old school friend who told me she couldn't get pregs until she fully stopped nursing (although I still wonder if it is down to a deficiency because of nursing taking your bodies resources rather than directly down to nursing so my theory is to increase your intake of vitamins so you got enough for nrusing AND pregnancy)

Anyhoo, thats about everything I got! Hope it helpful!

Jo xxx