View Single Post
April 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We went yesterday morning to a bike store that makes custom bikes for special needs kids. The custom bikes are very pricey ($2-5K), but they have some grant assistance - which we found out once there, we didn't qualify for. However, we did found out that we could get a modification kit for Trek bikes, but the cost was still going to be over $500 with the new bike and modifications.

Determined to not see Kyle sit another summer out on the sidelines - I came home yesterday and called my local bike shop about the modifications we were looking to get done. And see if we could save some $$ going with them, and we could. Then I did some searching online last night, found a great condition Trek bike used for $65 (vs. $200 retail). We picked it up today, and dropped it off at our local shop. The final modified bike will cost us less than 1/2 of what the special shop was going to charge. And a couple of the changes are nicer/sportier looking vs. 'special needs' looking (and function the same or better).

As long as the special training wheels come in this week - Kyle will get to pick his bike up on Saturday. And for the first time ever - ride a big boy bike