View Single Post
April 24th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi! My baby girl is 18 months old weighing in at 18 pds. We got a failure to thrive diagnosis at age 12 months. Since the she has seen a GI doctor who has run every test imaginable- all have been normal. She has had an endoscopy and biopsies-normal. We have has her on a 1200/day calorie diet (800 from pediasure) and began to have a little luck. She went from 16.5 pounds to 18- in about a month. She is still far from being on any charts. Our biggest problem now is that the 1200 calorie a day diet that she was eating has been cut into about 600/day. We cannot get her to eat- she wants nothing to do with it. The doctor says its a phase, try new foods, cut her food into shapes, etc. We have tried it all and no luck. I am so worried because she is just staying the same size. She hasn't lost weight-yet. I am concerned that she is not getting enough calories for proper brain development/bone growth. So much information I find on FTT has to do with parents that are abusive, neglectful, children that do not have access to proper diets etc. The other information is on kids with medical issues- so far we fit into neither group. Is there a "c" group? Has anyone had any luck with eliminating environmental toxins? (laundry soap, cleaners, etc) Its really nice to know that we are not the only parents dealing with this!!

I also have concerns about adding so much fat into her diet- such as sour cream, butter etc. I am worried about her eating habits in the future- will she think everything she eats has to be drowned in fat? I do it now because I have to try to get her to grow but is this damaging her taste buds?