View Single Post
April 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
We meet with our doctor today and I have re-read the autopsy report many times. Anatomically everything was intact no evidence of malformation of body or of vital organs, he was small for his gestational age (I was 32 weeks pregnant but his size was of 26 weeks gestation cause of intrauterine growth retardation unknown). The final diagnosis is that Santiago mostly likely died from consequences of maternal GBS infection, the infection was noted on the placenta not on him. It's unknown how it reached him, the other thing is that there wasn't a lot of amniotic fluid. The way I'm digesting all of this information is that his protective shell, the placenta, was being destroyed by the GBS infection not allowing it to function properly, thus, the small size and the minimal amount of fluid which I think lead to his death.

Either way, it doesn't make a huge different as to how we feel about our loss but it gives me hope that the outcome doesn't rule out us trying to have more babies in the future.

Did any of you have GBS infections linked to the loss of your babies?