View Single Post
April 29th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
I don't know how far a lawsuit would go, but it does seem to be discriminatory to deny coverage for some and offer it for others. We didn't mention the "d" word in this appeal letter, only requested equitable coverage since from a medical perspective we fit the same criteria of a same sex couple - i.e. just like a same sex couple would be, we're also 100% unable to produce our own sperm. So for now, we have to wait and see what they say . . . hopefully not have to wait to long. . .

We met with the social worker last night for the required session before the fertility center will proceed with treatment due to us now using donor sperm. It wasn't that bad, but overall felt like a waste of time & money. All the questions she asked, we'd already asked each other, discussed it, and our answers were exactly what she was looking for. Yes, we would tell the children, yes we have a support system (family & friends who know what we're going thru), yes we've begun the process of selecting a donor, yes we understand that although laws now have donors being anonymous this may change in the future and our children may find out who their bio father is, that they will potentially have siblings, etc. The only thing she came up with as a suggestion that we had not thought of and will try is she suggests we both separately look at the donor list (online or in the catalog) and make some choices and then come together and share our choices. Oftentimes, she says that makes it easier in that we each may come up with 5 candidates and we're the same on 1-2 which may make it easier to choose. That part is so overwhelming to me & Tony both. We've been so busy these past few weeks that we haven't had time to really look, so we're planning on sitting down and working on this sometime soon. It's going to be a little hectic for us for these next 2 weeks though, as his Mom leaves on Mother's Day weekend for Greece so we'll also be busy getting her ready. and there's work of course that keeps us quite busy to. maybe one of these days, it'll slow down for us.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!