View Single Post
April 29th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
If you think about it she isn't really "behind". She didn't get the opportunity to start learning at the same age of the other kids you are describing. Honestly if you really think about she is right on the curve that most kids would be. Usually you introduce the letters, sound, etc and it takes them a good bit after that to really put them together.

Even my kids who have no speech delays were very different. My oldest didn't really, truly grasp and decide to start reading until he was 5.5. My middle child was reading at 4 years. I would just tell your friends to back off, and that if she were in PS she would probably be even farther behind bc chances are she would get lost in the shuffle somewhere.

Sorry to rant I just hate to see someone so discouraged by the ignorance of others. Please stick around here, you will find LOTS of support.

If you think about it she isn't really "behind". She didn't get the opportunity to start learning at the same age of the other kids you are describing. Honestly if you really think about she is right on the curve that most kids would be. Usually you introduce the letters, sound, etc and it takes them a good bit after that to really put them together.

Even my kids who have no speech delays were very different. My oldest didn't really, truly grasp and decide to start reading until he was 7. My middle child was reading at 4 years. I would just tell your friends to back off, and that if she were in PS she would probably be even farther behind bc chances are she would get lost in the shuffle somewhere.

Sorry to rant I just hate to see someone so discouraged by the ignorance of others. Please stick around here, you will find LOTS of support.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>