View Single Post
May 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was positive with my first so I did some reasearch on it when I was pregnant with my second. Antibiotics aren't necessary although most doctors push them or don't even give you the choice. You can deny them if you want to though, if you feel it's unneccesary. Through my research, I decided I would not get antibiotics in labor if I was positive. There are natural remedies you can try to prevent it and my midwives offered other options like HibiClens as a vaginal rinse in labor.

From my research, I found the risk of baby developing an infection from it was very low. You can also easily spot an infection in a baby, especially if you know what signs to look for, so you can treat it. If you are trying a waterbirth, they think the water might wash away any bad bacteria as the baby comes out, preventing infection. There are certain risks factors that can make it more likely that you'll pass it onto baby, such as preterm labor and your water breaking early in labor. You have to also keep in mind that there are risks with taking the antibiotics, so that's something to weigh when making your decision. Here's a website with some information on antibiotics in labor and herbel alternatives for treatment (at the bottom): Birthsong Childbirth Education & Support Services - Gbs

I found a lot of conflicting information, including statistics on the numbers of babies affected. The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth had really good information. The information I found on the internet was iffy, mostly quoted from the same website so it can be hard to sift through that. Look at everything, all of the options and alternatives to antibiotics and make your decision after that.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!