Topic: Grade Levels
View Single Post
May 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
4boys
So far in my homeschooling journey (which is coming up on two years now, so not very long!), I have been keeping my kids at their grade level. However, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of doing school year-round (or almost) and letting them progress at their own pace. It just seems to make a lot of sense. Toby was 5 in February so technically he is kindergarten age this fall but he is reading well and catching onto math concepts (like counting by 5's) more than I thought he would. I could probably put him straight into Gr. 1 stuff if I wanted and skip K altogether (or just do a shortened version of K).

Anyhoo, I'm going to talk to DH about it but I want to know, for those of you who are looser with grade levels, what are the pros and cons to doing it this way? Why does it scare me a little to let them get ahead of themselves? I mean, I don't think we will ever be putting them in public school. They *might* go to a private high school but that is by no means for sure.

Do family members make comments about it? I can just imagine what my SIL would say because her son is 3 months older than Bailey but a year ahead of him in school and the compare game has been going on since birth, as much as I try to avoid it.

Thanks for any input!