View Single Post
June 27th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I'm not preregistering.

I just wanted to share. I mentioned to my midwife that if we ended up at the close (emergency) hospital, it would most likely only be for a C/S, and she told me I might be surprised. Sometimes they transfer for something that for a homebirth midwife is emergent - like a fetal heartrate in the 60s-70s and not recovering between contractions and the hospital will be like, "We can just watch this for a little bit" and mom goes on to have a vaginal birth. Her saying that many of her emergency transfers (and she only has 1-2 a year) still end in a vaginal (and often natural) birth changed my perspective on my birth plan in case of transfer.

It's one of those things. Like getting around Murphy's Law - if you do the full on transfer birth plan, then you will probably never need it. At least that's my philosophy.
My midwifes transfer rate was low and her c-sections were lower than her vaginal when it came to transfers. I know that if I had to transfer it would have ended in another c-section. When I went in for bleeding I was lectured left and right by hospital staff because I had chosen to plan an HBAC and they made me feel as if I were stupid for attempting.

So yeah, a lot of it depends on what exactly is going on and why the reasoning for a transfer. Just like Dag she transferred and Corbin was born vaginally

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story