View Single Post
July 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Regular
Meet Michael

Michael who is now 8, was born at 24 weeks and spent 5 1/2 months in the NICU. When Michael was born, he had PDA (patent ductus arteriosus) which was treated successfully with Indocin. It was later discovered that he had NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis)and had 2 surgeries for this, one to cut out part of his intestines, and the second to repair it (he had an iliostomy for 2 months). He also had bronchopulmonary displasia which is chronic lung disease characterized by hypoxia, hypercarbia, and oxygen dependence. Michael is legally blind in both eyes due to ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity) and he has had 2 eye surgeries on each eye. He has no vision at all in his right eye and very little vision in his left eye. At 5 months he had surgery for bilateral hernia repair. He had to have several surgeries for Broviac IV's. He also had to have 5 platelet transfusions and 17 blood transfusions, maybe more but that is all I remember.
After his long NICU stay, he had surgery for Hypospadius and to be circusized on Feb 2002. He had a complication from the circumcision and had to rushed back to the OR.

Right now, his diagnosis that he currently has are:
1.ROP (Retinopathy of Prematurity)
2. He was diagnosed with Sensory Integration
3. He was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.
4. He was diagnosed with Failure to Thrive and had several procedures/test done to find a cause. No cause has been found yet.
5. He was allergic to eggs, dogs, peanuts, and beef but he has now outgrown them all.
6. Behavioral Disorder which was helped a year ago with meds
7. Asthma
8. Michael is severely delayed (did not crawl until 2 years old and did not walk until 3 1/2 years old)

He is very tiny too...he is 8 and only weighs 35 pounds. He only weighed 12 pounds at 12 months of age. Michael has had about 8 or 9 doctors at Duke and I also had to stop working because of Michael having all those doctors appts. When I called the doctors office I never had to tell them my name because they knew who I was. I had to go all the time for both Michael and Emily.

Wife to Lee 3/29/97
Brandon 12/18/95
Michael 9/6/00 http://www.caringbridge.org/nc/michael
Emily 1/9/04 http://www.caringbridge.org/nc/emily