View Single Post
July 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
What's your superpower?
They found I have a bilobate placenta which increases my risk of post-partum hemorhage. It's also an indication that I could have problems with the umbilical cord which could potentially be life threatening for Madison once my water breaks... so, because of that we've decided that it would be best if I deliver at the hospital.

My midwife did tell me that if I make it to term, she would still come and tend to me at the hospital which is nice. She speaks pretty good english and I know her, so she can run interferance between the staff and I so I can focus on having a natural labor and not be forced to lay in a bed on a monitor and deliver laying down (right now, I see myself giving birth squatting... obviously that depends on how I feel in the moment).

My midwife was sad that we choose to deliver in a hospital, she said bilobate placenta can be delivered at home, however the OB has convinced (gently) dh that we would be better in the hospital and since there is no way to know about the umbilical cord until my water breaks, I'd rather already be at the hospital and close to an OR if I need an emergency c/s to get Madison out fast. Of course all of this is assuming they don't find something to increase their worry about the umbilical cord, then I'd end up with a c/s at 35 weeks (before I could go into labor but late enough to give Madison as much time as possible to develop her lungs). Needless to say, its been a very long week and I've cried many times. Dh asked me if I was comfortable with the decision and I told him "Comfortable isn't the right word... understanding the neccessity yes.... comfortable, no." I told him this means he's going to have to REALLY learn about the various interventions (risks, benifits, when the benifits outweigh the risks, etc) so he can stand up to the staff.... but also so he can stand up to me if need be (I don't see myself willingly accepting a c/s unless I'm bleeding). But I have to know that he is FULLY understanding of the risks for me to be able to take him seriously during labor.

I wish all of you wonderful ladies the best and will probably at least read thru the threads even if I don't reply.

Thank you 3Daughters for my AWESOME siggy!

Hoping to add a new member to our family through adoption in August 2011
~*~
I am a sleep deprived, pro-life, homebirth supporting, babywearing, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing, attachment parenting, conservative thinking, Constitution defending, gun owning, Torah learning, US Army Veteran who is married to her hero... A US Army Soldier! If this offends you, then stop reading my signature!