View Single Post
July 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
My brother in law and his wife are expecting their first. The baby is "due" in 8 days. They are very traditional, so my husband and I have been trying to influence them a little bit throughout the pregnancy. We had a great heart to heart when she was very early on about breastfeeding, and I think she's decided to try and make that work, which was really exciting for me! We also sent them a few books that I'm hoping open their eyes to some more natural and nontraditional parenting styles that they probably would never had considered.

Hubby called his brother tonight to see how they are doing and it turns out that they just got back from the OBGYN and were extremely upset and discouraged because they asked the DR to induce labor and she said no. She isn't even due for 8 more days...

I have such mixed feelings about this. I don't want to be judgmental, but it's sort of unbelievable. Their reasoning is that SIL is miserable because the baby is measuring a whooping 8 pounds, which I don't understand because my son was 8.5 pounds. Most babies are? Everyone is miserable these last few weeks. I just feel like this delivery is doomed from the beginning. She'll rush to the hospital the minute she feels a contraction, get the epidural right away, labor won't progress so she'll need pitocin, baby will be in distress so she'll end up with a c-section, thus resulting in a handful of problems that get in the way of her breastfeeding. Is that terrible of me?

I want to email her and offer some support and insight, but I know that no 9 month pregnant woman wants advice from anyone else. Is there anything I can do to influence her this late in the game or do I just need to step back and let them make their own choices?