View Single Post
July 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
KimberlyD0
I have to agree with this. I'm sure it can depend a little one where you are too, but here there is little to no support for bottlefeeding moms.

I've been on both sides.

With DD#1 I couldn't BF, I go no support and plenty of guilt thrown my way. It was so bad I didn't know what formula to use and for the first month she was on a 6+ month formula and I didn't know. I felt horrible. The pressure and guilt piled on by BF moms and LLL were bad enough that I sunk into a very deep pit of PPD. It was a huge struggle, and something that made being first time mom even harder. I even considered not BF at all the second time because I didn't want to go through the pressure and guilt again.

With DD#2 I stopped due do issues out of my control. Then restarted and had to relactate. I was constantly told how great of a mom I am, or I must really love my daughter to go through all that. Fact is, I am proud I did it, but sometimes when statments are made about those things, its like saying that I must not have loved my first as much as my second. After all I didn't do this for her. I love both my girls equally and I am proud I FF my first because thats what she needed. I am Proud I BF my second because I could.

I am no better a parent though with DD#2 then I was with DD#1 because I BF. I am simply a mother like all other mothers.

Having the issues and challanges I did with DD#1, having to FF her, opened my eyes. I learned that BF is not the be all and end all of being a good parent. I think that women are judged to harshly on both sides and people on either end need to just back off.

I also think that if a mother FF no matter what the reason they need the support just as much as a BF mom. Possibly more because there is more shame and guilt piled onto them.