View Single Post
August 2nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
nakmaster
Hi ladies!! I actually introduced myself a while ago with my last pregnancy, but we lost that baby...so I get to start the planning all over again!

I am Heather, 24 married to Matt who is also 24. We are expecting our first together. I've been through labor & delivery before, at a hospital (no epi) with an OB, so I'm not a stranger to the labor part. BUT I'm a birth mom, so I am definitely a stranger to the whole raising a child thing as I placed that baby with loving parents.

That was 5/6 years ago and now that I am preparing for MY first baby....I am reflecting back on that whole experience and not wanting to have that again. I seem to have a long list of wants/desires that will not be able to be fulfilled by even the family centered hospital in my area. I have a very close friend who had a home birth in Feb. so I of course was like wow...thats so amazing. I am still in the planning stages. I'm under the care of a midwife but I have not posed the "could we do a home birth" question because I don't want to be treated like a leper that early in my care.

There is a home birth circle that meets once a month here in Rochester so I am planning on going with DH a couple of times to get info, meet other home birthers and find out what midwives support it. I know there is ONE midwife in the area that openly does home births (she actually delivered Ani Defranco's baby) and I have her contact information as well.

DH is VERY supportive of it, in fact when I mentioned doing the hospital tour of 2 hospitals he was like "...but I thought we were having the baby here...." hehe. My MIL is a nurse...a NICU nurse, so she is very much technology based. She is more worried about the baby than she is about me during delivery (in a good way), so she will be the wild card.

Anyways - I look forward to getting to know all of you guys and reading your birth stories and coming to you when the naysayers make me second guess my decision to have a home birth!