View Single Post
August 6th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I breastfed for 6 weeks mainly because I heard a lot of information about how it was good for the baby. Any amount's good... even a day. Lots of people put pressure on me to do it and so I gave it a shot. She latched on perfectly and seemed to be doing okay. Me on the otherhand was frustrated since she'd want to be on the boob all day long. The first night in the hospital one of the nurses came in and helped me with learning how to breastfeed and said that she had used a pacifier on her son when he seemed to just want to suck on something. I think she felt bad because I was crying in my room since I couldn't sleep.

When I brought her home she was doing alright. Only problem was that she wasn't putting weight on good. So for the next few weeks we'd constantly have to make trips to the doctor's office so she could have weight checks. The pediatrician kept encouraging me to breastfeed so I did. I wish I had supplemented her on formula before giving the OK for Jordin to have blood work done. I felt awful over that.

So at the 6 week mark I got frustrated and decided to just put her on formula since my milk supply wasn't good. Jason's mom made me upset because she made a comment about how she knew all along I should've put her on formula. She'd even talk about someone she knew who had a baby a month before me and had a freezer stocked with breast milk. It was upsetting.

Jordin's pediatrican told me maybe the next time things will be different and I'll be able to breastfeed. I don't know if I'll give it another shot since I got depressed over it. I felt like a huge failure. Anyway, I'm glad I decided to give her formula. She put on weight and is growing just fine. That's all that matters.