View Single Post
August 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Isla Madelyn Cassidy born July 30th at 7:36 pm. 7 lb 7 oz. 19 1/4 inches.

My induction was scheduled for 8:00 am on Thursday morning, so we were all ready and out the door around 7:15. After I got all my paperwork done they got us into a triage room to start my IV, take blood, and start me on the fetal monitors. Once I got all hooked up the doctor checked me and determined I was dilated to 3 cm and 50% effaced, as well as having regular contractions, though I couldn't feel them. They started me on my IV and we waited to get into a regular room. At one point I had a blood pressure drop and nearly fainted. The nurse said it was probably because I was already in early labor before I got there, but I'm not sure and it didn't happen again.

Shortly after 11:00 the nurse finally started my pitocin. At 1:00 the doctor came by to check my progress and I had dilated to 5 cm and 60% effaced. I sent Stephen home with Asher around then so that he could have a nap. I labored on my own while reading a book until 4:00 when the doctor came in to check me and break my water. Progress at that point was 6 cm and 80% effaced. I was slightly discouraged that I hadn't made more progress, but once my water had broken things started to really get intense. At 5:30 I just couldn't stand the pain any longer and got my epidural. I hadn't decided before labor if I would get one or not, so I tried to go as long as I could without it. I was checked again at that same time and was dilated to 7 cm.

30 minutes later, yes 30 minutes, I was fully dilated to 10 cm. It's funny how I knew too. First I got really nauseous and vomitted. Directly after I had bloody show and then I felt pressure. The same series of events happened when I had Asher, so I knew without a doubt that it was baby time. When I asked the nurse to check me she was doubtful, but it goes to show that a woman knows her body, because to her amazement I really was fully dilated.

Unfortunately this was the middle of shift change. So I was forced to wait and hour and labor down some because baby was still a little bit high up. When the nurse finally came in to do some "practice pushes" I made it through one and a half pushes before she told me to stop and ran out of the room to get the doctor. The doctor was getting his gown on when I said "I feel like she is coming out on her own." He turned around and caught her. No work on my part whatsoever, she was just ready. The doctor kept saying that it was the easiest delivery he's ever had. It was pretty easy on me too.

I had a minor tear and required a couple stitches, but nothing like the episiotomy I had with Asher. Isla weighed in at 7 lb 7 oz, a whole ounce bigger than her brother. I'd say I did fairly well controlling my diabetes since she was such a perfect weight. We were in the hospital until Saturday night, they would not discharge us a minute before 48 hours because of the diabetes. Though Isla never showed any problems from the diabetes, she had perfect blood sugars after birth and maintained her temperature well.

Breastfeeding is going fantastic. I was able to nurse within the first 30 minutes of her birth and she latched on within the first couple minutes of trying. She's a champion nurser and my milk was in before I even left the hospital. Which also meant she didn't lose that much weight and was down to 7 lbs even when we left.

Big brother Asher is doing fantastic with her. He was even in the delivery room with us when she was born. Upon her first cries he was telling her "baby shhh." He likes to pet her hair and show me her toes.