View Single Post
September 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Hi there!! Welcome to the board! I hope we can help you get this cleared up... diaper rashes can be so awful!! Kaylin actually has a pretty nasty one right now.

How old is your daughter?

I would call your pediatrician tomorrow morning, first thing. They may prescribe an anti-fungal or antibiotic cream, depending on the type of rash. They will also be able to give you lots of suggestions to sooth her poor little hiney

Here is what I have to clear up diaper rash... (these are all suggestions from my pediatrician's office)
-- Bath her in a warm bath with about a cup of baking soda added to her water. Don't use soap... just let her soak for about 10 minutes. Do this twice a day until it clears up. When you do need to wash her with soap, empty the bath so she doesn't sit in soapy water, wash her (but not the infected areas) and rinse quickly - more like a shower than a bath, but it keeps the infected area from being further irritated by soap. Even baby soap might irritate it.
-- Oatmeal baths are also great for itching diaper rashes. Aveeno Baby makes a great oatmeal bath powder
-- Let her air dry from the bath... After towel drying her, let her play naked for a while on a towel or in her crib to completely dry her skin.
-- Don't use baby wipes until it clears up - use a damp wash cloth. Baby wipes will irritate the rash.
-- Use a zinc oxide cream - Balmex, Desitin, Burt's Bees, Budreoux Buttpaste, etc. Use it with EVERY diaper change until it clears up. Make sure you get it all off every time you change her, then reapply.
-- NO JUICE. I don't know if you baby is old enough to eat solids or juices, but the juice can irritate it further, from the acids.
-- When Kaylin has been prescribed Nystatin for her skin yeast infections, we put cornstarch powder on top of the cream and use it in between applications to keep her skin dry.

I have heard of milk allergies causing diaper rashes, but more often they will cause fussiness, spit up, diarrhea, or gas. It's not unheard of, but less common. Like Chantel said above.... babies who have milk allergies will often have a soy allergy too. I would try the Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Sensitive. See how that works.