View Single Post
October 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
*Fiona*
I'm in the UK and have not been told anything about using unboiled water - it may be fine to use but I haven't been told/read anything about it.

I have asked this Q over on the UK Mummies board when I weaned Kirsty, just as a general concensus to see who does what. Most of the girls do what I do (which isn't recommended now but was fine when I was little!), I make the milk up at night when Kirsty is in bed, I make up the 4 bottles for the next day, boiled water, add the powder, cool them ASAP in the sink with cold water and store them in the fridge. Then I warm them as needed for each feed.

There are other girls who do as you say and store the cooled boiled water and add powder as needed each feed - seemingly this isn't good as the powder isn't sterile and needs the boiled water to be hot enough to kill off any bacteria in the powder? I'm not 100% sure on this but it makes sense.

I guess mums do this different ways, always have done and we grew up just fine. I'm not saying do it one way or another as the guidlines now are to make a fresh feed each time it's required - when you have a crying baby who is hungry now, who has time to boil a kettle, let it cool for 30 mins, pour the water into bottle, scoop the powder and wait for it to cool when mixed so you can feed baby... not for me but that's my choice