The Orton Effect - PS tutorial
View Single Post
November 5th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Jose, Ca
I love this effect! It gives a gorgeous, dreamy feel to an image.
1. Open your image in PS.
2. Duplicate the background layer and rename it 'Sharp'.
3. Duplicate the Sharp layer - the new layer should be at the top of the layer palette and named 'Sharp copy'.
4. On the sharp copy layer, change the blending mode to screen.
5. Right click the sharp copy layer and select 'merge down'.
6. Duplicate the sharp layer and rename it 'out of focus'.
7. With the out of focus layer selected, go Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. The amount of blur depends on the size of your image. You want details to be blurred but outlines to be visible.
8. Change the blend mode of the out of focus layer to multiply.
9. Change the opacities of the layers to suit.
View Public Profile
Visit Wintersong's homepage!
Find all posts by Wintersong