View Single Post
November 12th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Obviously I dealt with a baby being behind. Lillian was severe iugr, her growth slowed down at 20ish weeks, and by 25 weeks had stopped altogether. But we knew the problem, it showed in her dopplers, her cord was bad.

Once she started having bad nst I was admitted to the hospital and was there for a month before they finally did a c-section at 29 weeks. Now while I was admitted, they did nst 3 times a day, and a BPP (NST with a detailed ultrasound) once a day and a doppler every other day, growth ultrasound once a week. They were trying to buy the babies as much time as they could, but keeping a really close eye so that once it got bad, they could get them out right away. I was told by one of the high risk doctors that if it wasn't twins, and they weren't also weighing out the needs of the healthy baby they would have delivered her at 26 weeks when she started failing the NST.

The day they delivered she had failed her NST as usual, but she also failed her BPPS, she normally would fail the nst part of the bpp but pass the other 4 parts. They did a doppler a day early and it showed stopped cord flow, which means like the cord would work for a second then stop working for a second, so she was getting nutrition and oxygen half the time. They delivered a couple hours later.

And for those who don't know, Genevive was 3lb 1 oz, and Lillian was 1lb 13oz. And of course the one we all worried about was fine, and Genevive passed away at 16 days old from an unexpected disease she got called NEC

Hope this was helpful, I tried to lay out what was happening at what time and what the drs were doing about it. All they can do is monitor and decide when the risk to the baby is great enough to deliver. I can tell you this, They told me that they would do a growth ultrasound weekly for Lillian, just to be safe and since I was already there for the doppler, but to monitor growth they have to compare for every two weeks. Normally they will only do a growth ultrasound two weeks apart, because they can't make an accurate determination if a baby is growing well by one week apart ultrasounds it is to close of a time and the baby doesn't grow enough in a week. So based on that the ten days between growth ultrasounds sounds like they are in fact being cautious, and I hope that is comforting to you.

in my case they would do it weekly, but they would compare it to the one that was two weeks prior, not the one the week before, LOL. hope that makes sense. Boy that was a hectic time.