View Single Post
November 24th, 2009, 05:25 AM
ANGWife
I'm not an expert but I will tell you what we have done!

What do I start with. Rice cereal? Oatmeal? Other cereal? Do I give it to him in a bowl or feed it to him in a bottle? We started with rice cereal. He was given one serving a day for 2 weeks, then 2 servings a day. Then we moved to oatmeal. If he accepts a spoon okay, I wouldn't give in the bottle. He needs to learn to feed from a spoon.

When do I introduce fruit/veggies? As in, can I right away or should I wait a week or something after I start the cereal?
Henry has veggies first for about 2 weeks (we started him at 4 months). IMO the rice cereal is just to get him use to taking a spoon. You can also gradually mix the cereal with the veggie/fruit.

How much cereal? How often? How much fruit/veggies? How often? At first it was 3TB cereal to 1TB water. We fed one serving a day for 2 weeks. Then we fed 2 servings a day. When we introduced veggies, he was given 2oz veggie at one serving and 1 serving of the cereal at another time. At almost 7 months old, he now has 3oz fruit in the AM, serving of oatmeal at lunch time, and 3oz of veggie in the PM.

When do I introduce a new food? Do I only give him one food for a week and then introduce another? I seem to remember reading something like that.
Alot of books and people will tell you to wait at least 1-2 weeks before introducing another food. I didn't follow that. When I give a new food I wait 2-3 days.

Are there are vitamins or something I need to give him? Fluoride drops or vitamin D? I think the ped will discuss this with us at his 6 month appt, but I am feeling overwhelmed. I can't give any suggestions here because we FF

What about water? Do you give you baby water? In a sippy cup? I read somewhere a 6 month old should use a sippy cup. I thought only bigger kids did that not babies. Henry stated a sippy cup about 3 weeks ago. I put a small amount of cold water. I took the no-spill plug out of the cup and it drips out the spout for him. I think you should use one early just as practice.

Last question - what time of day should I offer him solids? Right now he wakes to eat around 5am, is up for the day at 7 or 9, and then he will not eat again until 11. He just isn't hungry no matter how much I try. Again, alot of reading will tell you to feed solids first. Henry doesn't work that way. He gets really frustrated if he can suck when he's hungry. So I feed a bottle then wait about 2 hrs and he loves to eat his solids.